Club runs are starting up again with the first one taking place this coming Sunday, September 24th. Meet outside the Puma Centre, Gosling Sports Park for a 9.30am start. Riders should be dressed for the weather (look at the forecast!) and be suitable equipped for a long ride – waterproof, pump, inner tube(s), tyre levers plus drink & food. A usable mobile phone (i.e. charged with credit!), money and a multi-tool would also be useful.
The number of groups will be dependent upon numbers and fitness levels. There should be sufficient ride leaders to have at least two groups if appropriate. Ride length will be dependent upon who turns up but as a guide younger/slower riders would ride for about two hours with the faster group riding for around three.
Minimum age for these rides would be U14 youth – if any riders younger than that wish to ride they would need to be accompanied by a parent or designated person (have a chat with one of the coaches if you’re not sure).
There will be no cafe stop but it would be good to have a post-ride coffee etc in the Gosling bistro for a de-brief.
Club runs are a good social activity for club members but also have beneficial training effects. What are they? Answers to email@example.com…you never know you could win a prize!
The Championships will be run as a four event Omnium at Gosling Sports Park – Pursuit/Devil/Sprint and Scratch race.
Under 8/10/12/14 riders – Wednesday June 28th – start time 7:00pm
Under 16, Vets and Seniors – Wednesday July 5th – start time 7:00pm
We will require some helpers to be time-keepers and Judges – volunteers needed.
Yesterday was the 2nd round of the 2017 Regional Youth Omnium Series. Welwyn hosted over 100 young riders in 3 age categories; U12, U14, U16 in 6 hours of impressive racing.
As a club we put on a great racing performance with Welwyn riders participating in every category.
U12 Boys Dylan Starkey, Thomas Dixon, Tommy Liddiard, Thomas Oliver, Harry Eagle, Cormac Nisbet
U12 Girls Beth Bennett
U14 Boys Joe Kiely, Euan Woodliffe, Tom Sharples, Max Jackson
U14 Girls Ellen Bennett
U16 Boys Oli Stockwell, Archie Peet, Joe Bennett
U16 Girls Josie Griffin
The day was a huge success with the full programme of races completed without a single incident and even the sun made an appearance! We have received some excellent feedback on how smoothly and professionally the event ran.
This would not have been possible without the enormous support of members and parents who helped with set up, gate marshal, sign on, catering, judging, holding, time keeping and clearing up – as well as those who provided the delicious cakes!
It is a lot of work to put on an event of this size and we are grateful for all the help received. It is particularly encouraging to see the knowledge and experience involved with some of the major roles being passed on to newer members of the club.
Thank you to those that volunteered (in no particular order & apologies for anyone missed out):
|Faye & Tim Bennett
||Mark & Lucy Sharples
|Chloe & Andy Evans
||Henry, Annalise & Jeremy Peet
||Sam & Ben Stockwell
||Mark & Morag Woodliffe
|Elspeth & Rona Grace
|Richard, Alison & Dan Maynard
||Alex & Graeme Anderson
Thank you again.
Time Trials – open to all riders 12yrs and up
Club 10m TTs
- First event on 2 May, these will every Tuesday evening until August
- Start and sign-on (from 6:45pm) at Cole Green – no pre-entry required
- There will be NO ENTRY FEES for club members (non-WW riders £5)
- We are investigating to have the A414 hard shoulder swept before the first event – no punctures!
Club 25m Championship
- This will take place on 22 July, 2pm on the F14/25 course (Guilden Morden)
- Pre-entry required by 11 July through CTT website (https://cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-details/15604)
Victoria CC TT Series (10.1miles)
- Friendly events that happen on four Saturday mornings through the summer on the E1/10 course (Newport, nr Bishops Stortford), with points scored over all four events (and prizes). These have been regularly supported by WW over recent years – first event is 27 May.
- These can be ridden solo, 2-up and/or 3-up, so they make the ideal introduction to team TTs. It is even possible to combine rides and some intrepid souls have entered all 3 (solo, 2-up and 3-up) on the same day
- Pre-entry required through CTT website (https://cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/find-events) – coordinate with your mates first if you plan to ride 2- or 3-up