Yesterday was the 2nd round of the 2017 Regional Youth Omnium Series. Welwyn hosted over 100 young riders in 3 age categories; U12, U14, U16 in 6 hours of impressive racing.
As a club we put on a great racing performance with Welwyn riders participating in every category.
U12 Boys Dylan Starkey, Thomas Dixon, Tommy Liddiard, Thomas Oliver, Harry Eagle, Cormac Nisbet
U12 Girls Beth Bennett
U14 Boys Joe Kiely, Euan Woodliffe, Tom Sharples, Max Jackson
U14 Girls Ellen Bennett
U16 Boys Oli Stockwell, Archie Peet, Joe Bennett
U16 Girls Josie Griffin
The day was a huge success with the full programme of races completed without a single incident and even the sun made an appearance! We have received some excellent feedback on how smoothly and professionally the event ran.
This would not have been possible without the enormous support of members and parents who helped with set up, gate marshal, sign on, catering, judging, holding, time keeping and clearing up – as well as those who provided the delicious cakes!
It is a lot of work to put on an event of this size and we are grateful for all the help received. It is particularly encouraging to see the knowledge and experience involved with some of the major roles being passed on to newer members of the club.
Thank you to those that volunteered (in no particular order & apologies for anyone missed out):
|Faye & Tim Bennett
||Mark & Lucy Sharples
|Chloe & Andy Evans
||Henry, Annalise & Jeremy Peet
||Sam & Ben Stockwell
||Mark & Morag Woodliffe
|Elspeth & Rona Grace
|Richard, Alison & Dan Maynard
||Alex & Graeme Anderson
Thank you again.
Time Trials – open to all riders 12yrs and up
Club 10m TTs
- First event on 2 May, these will every Tuesday evening until August
- Start and sign-on (from 6:45pm) at Cole Green – no pre-entry required
- There will be NO ENTRY FEES for club members (non-WW riders £5)
- We are investigating to have the A414 hard shoulder swept before the first event – no punctures!
Club 25m Championship
- This will take place on 22 July, 2pm on the F14/25 course (Guilden Morden)
- Pre-entry required by 11 July through CTT website (https://cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-details/15604)
Victoria CC TT Series (10.1miles)
- Friendly events that happen on four Saturday mornings through the summer on the E1/10 course (Newport, nr Bishops Stortford), with points scored over all four events (and prizes). These have been regularly supported by WW over recent years – first event is 27 May.
- These can be ridden solo, 2-up and/or 3-up, so they make the ideal introduction to team TTs. It is even possible to combine rides and some intrepid souls have entered all 3 (solo, 2-up and 3-up) on the same day
- Pre-entry required through CTT website (https://cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/find-events) – coordinate with your mates first if you plan to ride 2- or 3-up
Go-Ride Racing Muddy Monsters
The first round of the Go-Ride Racing Muddy Monsters series of races starts at Ashwell CC this Saturday. This series of Novice Off Road races is aimed at those young riders new to racing.
The Road Bikes on the Track session will run as normal on Saturday
We will still be running a scaled down Freewheel session this Saturday. Sallie Bracewell will be going over to Ashwell to help and oversee the Muddy Monsters event.
Download Muddy Monsters information sheet here.
Eastern Region Intensive Youth Cyclo-Cross training
We will also be hosting a Cyclo-Cross “Contenders” Training session at Gosling on Saturday 10th December, 9:30am – 12pm £5 each booked in advance via me or via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Eastern Region Intensive Youth Cyclo-Cross training session – Hosted by Welwyn Wheelers – Gosling Sports Park – Saturday 10th December 9:30am – 12pm
Welwyn Wheelers will be hosting the next Eastern Region Contenders Cyclo-Cross training session this coming Saturday. This session is designed for our best youth riders in the region to prepare them for national level competition. They are intensive training sessions that enable riders to work with others of a similar standard and identify weaknesses that can be worked on in club sessions. Where possible we will bring in expert coaches and riders to help with the sessions.
Riders are expected to be racing Cyclo-Cross regularly and have their own Cyclo-Cross bike. Riders must be in the Youth (U16 & U14) categories or first Year Juniors. Sign on @9am at Trackside Gosling Velodrome. Session Fee £5
There are still a few places available although the session is limited to 20 riders so please book in advance with Mark Wyer in advance via e-mail: email@example.com or contact me directly.
Mobile: 07831 402076
Many thanks to all members who helped at the Central League Cyclo Cross event on Saturday.
It was a hugely successful event with over 400 riders taking part.
We have received some excellent feedback both on the course and how professionally the event ran. We have also received compliments on our cheerful and supportive marshals.
This could not have been done without the 50 plus members/ parents who helped out with set up on the Friday and Saturday
with set up , marshaled, worked on sign on, catering, calling, recording and take down and put away – as well as those who provided the delicious baked goods.
It is a lot of work to put on an event like this and we are grateful for all the help received. It is particularly gratifying to see some of our newer members volunteering for the first time.
Thank you to those that volunteered (in no particular order):
plus members who provided baked goods.